Cleaning Up on the Ketogenic Diet 2224
Dr. Robert Silverman
The ketogenic diet, a low-carbohydrate, high-healthy fat plan, has been shown in improving body composition in athletes and improve neurological conditions in adults with seizures, cognitive decline, or neuropathy. The world watched, in 2015, as a relatively-unknown tennis pro, Novak Djokovic, shot to number one seed, a feat he attributed to his gluten/dairy/sugar-free diet. Djokovic saw a vast improvement in endurance, cognitive function, and recovery time. The ketogenic diet takes things a step further by including copious amounts of clean, healthy fats that efficiently fuel and protect the brain. In a 6-week study, the ketogenic diet improved cerebrospinal fluid biomarkers of Alzheimer’s disease in patients with mild cognitive decline compared to a low-carb diet and an uncontrolled diet. In seizure disorders, the generation of ketones, which provide neurons and astrocytes with a more efficient energy source than glucose, increases adenosine levels. This mechanism is thought to have effects on seizure control. Medium-chain fatty acids, commonly used as a variation of the ketogenic diet, have been shown to inhibit glutamate receptors directly and to change cell energetics through mitochondrial biogenesis. As a result, the onset of seizures is blocked. Whether an athlete wants to improve his physique or a patient is taking steps to avoid the onset of neurological disorders, or is already in a state of neurological dysregulation, the ketogenic diet may be a step in the right direction.
- The mechanisms of the ketogenic diet that lead to neuronal tissue protection
- The difference between the ‘clean’ and ‘dirty’ ketogenic diets
- How to implement a ketogenic diet
- Supplementation that can support the effects of the diet
Speaker: Robert G. Silverman, DC, MS, DABCN, DCBCN, CNS, CCN, CSCS, CIISN, CKTP, CES, HKC, FAKTR
Dr. Robert G. Silverman graduated Magna cum Laude from the University of Bridgeport, College of Chiropractic. He holds a Masters of Science in Human Nutrition and is a Diplomate with the American Clinical Board of Nutrition and the Chiropractic Board of Clinical Nutrition. He is certified as a sports nutritionist, Certified Nutrition Specialist, and Certified Clinical Nutritionist.
Dr. Silverman specializes in the diagnosis of joint pain and soft-tissue management and treatment with an innovative, well-researched approach to non-surgical care, while incorporating proper nutrition protocols. He is board certified in Active Release Technique® Graston Technique®, cold-laser therapy, and Sound Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization. He is a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist, Certified Kinesio Taping Practitioner, and NASM-certified Corrective Exercise Specialist. Dr. Silverman is also a HardStyle Kettlebell Certified (HKC) instructor, and a certified provider for Functional Movement Screen.
A nationally known speaker, Dr. Silverman has published numerous articles on treating and preventing sports injury, joint pain, and nutrition, in addition to giving seminars on injury-related preventions, treatments and nutrition for various organizations and Fortune 500 corporations. He is a post-graduate instructor at the University of Bridgeport, College of Chiropractic. Dr. Silverman also serves as a chiropractor and sports injury consultant for basketball players, professional wrestling organizations, local, collegiate, and professional sports teams, professional tri-athletes, body-builders, and martial artists, and acted as the team doctor for the Amino Vital pro-cycling team. He serves as a member of the medical team of New York City’s Triathlons and Marathons, Westchester Triathlon, multiple international Iron Man events, and local sports venues.
Dr. Silverman appears on Westchester’s Channel 76 – Beyond the Game, as a sports injury consultant, and a pain-management and nutrition consultant on radio 1460 AM, as well as a health expert on 1230 AM “Ask the Expert.” He has his own syndicated talk show on Westchester’s Channel 75 called “Get Healthy with Dr. Rob.” In addition, Dr. Silverman has been a featured guest on Westchester’s Channel 12 as their Nutritional Weight Loss expert and was chosen as the national spokesperson for the Vitamin Ester-C.
Thank you to Speaker Sponsor: NutriDyn
This lecture has been approved by Texas College of Chiropractic and quality control checked by the Florida Chiropractic Association. This lecture has attained approval in the following states: CO, CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, ID, IL, IA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MT, NE, NJ, NM, NY, OR, RI, SC, UT, VT, VA, and WA.
- 1.00 Certified Chiropractic Physicians Assistant (CCPA) CE
- 1.00 General (GEN) credit
- 1.00 Doctor of Chiropractic (DC) CE
- 1.00 General (GEN) credit
*Note: FCA Member cost for this course is $15. Members, make sure you are logged in to receive this discount. Any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org before you add to the cart.
- Please verify that your browser settings are enabled to ALLOW pop-ups. A pop-up window is how you will view this course.
- link to enable pop-ups in Safari
- link to enable pop-ups Google Chrome
- link to enable pop-ups in Firefox
- Please be sure that the device and IP address/location that you begin the course on is the same throughout the course entirety.
- When your program pauses at the end of a video, you have completed the end of that section. Close out of your window, give the system a moment to reset, then click the "next" button at the bottom right area of your screen. This will bring up the next section or a challenge question that needs to be answered. You can always note the completed sections on the Course Progress-Tracker on the left side of the screen.