Integrating Fasting into Nutritional Protocols: A Functional Medicine Approach
Fasting is an age-old spiritual practice, but today we know it can have significant, even transforming, health benefits. Robust and ongoing research is revealing how fasting can help activate stem cells, reduce and improve chronic disease, and lead to healthy longevity. The benefits of fasting have now entered the mainstream of public interest, which means practitioners are being asked about how to do it safely, effectively, and with minimal disruption to daily life. Practitioners now have the opportunity to help their patients by providing guidance and countering the misinformation and myths around fasting. To best help their patients, practitioners need to have a thorough grasp of the complex science behind safe and effective fasting. This session will guide participants through the scientific basics, explain the different fasting modalities, and help them integrate fasting into their nutritional protocols.
By the end of the presentation, attendees should understand:
- Why fasting has significant health benefits
- Basic science behind safe and effective fasting
- Blood marker improvements from fasting
- Different fasting modalities
- Principles of the fast mimicking diet (FMD)
- Elucidating functional nutrition protocols that work in synergy with fasting
Speaker: Robert G. Silverman, DC, MS, DABCN, DCBCN, CNS, CCN, CSCS, CIISN, CKTP, CES, HKC, FAKTR
Dr. Robert G. Silverman graduated Magna cum Laude from the University of Bridgeport, College of Chiropractic. He holds a Masters of Science in Human Nutrition and is a Diplomate with the American Clinical Board of Nutrition and the Chiropractic Board of Clinical Nutrition. He is certified as a sports nutritionist, Certified Nutrition Specialist, and Certified Clinical Nutritionist.
Dr. Silverman specializes in the diagnosis of joint pain and soft-tissue management and treatment with an innovative, well-researched approach to non-surgical care, while incorporating proper nutrition protocols. He is board certified in Active Release Technique® Graston Technique®, cold-laser therapy, and Sound Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization. He is a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist, Certified Kinesio Taping Practitioner, and NASM-certified Corrective Exercise Specialist. Dr. Silverman is also a HardStyle Kettlebell Certified (HKC) instructor, and a certified provider for Functional Movement Screen.
A nationally known speaker, Dr. Silverman has published numerous articles on treating and preventing sports injury, joint pain, and nutrition, in addition to giving seminars on injury-related preventions, treatments and nutrition for various organizations and Fortune 500 corporations. He is a post-graduate instructor at the University of Bridgeport, College of Chiropractic. Dr. Silverman also serves as a chiropractor and sports injury consultant for basketball players, professional wrestling organizations, local, collegiate, and professional sports teams, professional tri-athletes, body-builders, and martial artists, and acted as the team doctor for the Amino Vital pro-cycling team. He serves as a member of the medical team of New York City’s Triathlons and Marathons, Westchester Triathlon, multiple international Iron Man events, and local sports venues.
Dr. Silverman appears on Westchester’s Channel 76 – Beyond the Game, as a sports injury consultant, and a pain-management and nutrition consultant on radio 1460 AM, as well as a health expert on 1230 AM “Ask the Expert.” He has his own syndicated talk show on Westchester’s Channel 75 called “Get Healthy with Dr. Rob.” In addition, Dr. Silverman has been a featured guest on Westchester’s Channel 12 as their Nutritional Weight Loss expert and was chosen as the national spokesperson for the Vitamin Ester-C.
Thank you to Speaker Sponsor: NutriDyn
This lecture has been approved by Texas College of Chiropractic and quality control checked by the Florida Chiropractic Association. This lecture has attained approval in the following states: CO, CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, ID, IL, IA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MT, NE, NJ, NM, NY, OR, RI, SC, UT, VT, VA, and WA.
- 1.00 Doctor of Chiropractic (DC) CE
- 1.00 General (GEN) credit
*Note: FCA Member cost for this course is $15. Members, make sure you are logged in to receive this discount. Any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org before you add to the cart.
- Please verify that your browser settings are enabled to ALLOW pop-ups. A pop-up window is how you will view this course.
- link to enable pop-ups in Safari
- link to enable pop-ups Google Chrome
- link to enable pop-ups in Firefox
- Please be sure that the device and IP address/location that you begin the course on is the same throughout the course entirety.
- When your program pauses at the end of a video, you have completed the end of that section. Close out of your window, give the system a moment to reset, then click the "next" button at the bottom right area of your screen. This will bring up the next section or a challenge question that needs to be answered. You can always note the completed sections on the Course Progress-Tracker on the left side of the screen.